The OpenNebula monthly newsletter featuring highlights of the OpenNebula project. Learn about the latest developments, community and outreach of your favourite cloud manager.
Members of the OpenNebula team will be present in both editions of the VMworld 2017. Also, check the keynote speakers for the OpenNebulaConf EU 2017, in Madrid this October, including BlackBerry, Trivago, Runtastic and the Ministry of the Flemish community.
With OpenNebula Medusa 5.4 published this past July, the team is focusing now on the next maintenance release, 5.4.1, as well as preparing the roadmap for the next major release, OpenNebula 5.6. This is the perfect time to contribute your ideas to improve OpenNebula, this page from the project’s website lays out all the needed info (TL;DR create a request in the development portal).
If you were wondering how to add patches to them or build non stable versions this is your lucky month, since the team just published the package build repository, so everyone can build their own OpenNebula packages.
This month of August was also good news for vOneCloud users, with the release of vOneCloud 3.0.0 (and subsequent 3.0.1), which brings all the innovation introduced in OpenNebula 5.4. You can check the details in the release notes, the following are highlights of the new functionality in vOneCloud 3.0.0:
- Enhanced storage management, vOneCloud is fully aware of all VMs disks. Non-persistent images and volatiles disks are now supported.
- Storage quotas and datastore capacity check, never run out of capacity correctly dimensioning the available datastores and the storage quotas given to end users
- Linked clone support, add support for linked clones for VMs at the time of importing a VM Template
- Disk resize capabilities, resize the capacity of a VM disk at boot time or when the VM is in poweroff
- Network creation support, a new vCenter network model is available in virtual network definition, standard and different port groups and vSwitches can be created from within OpenNebula. VLAN IDs, MTUs and number of ports can be specified when a port group is created.
- Full storage and networking support in imported VM Templates, images and networks representing disks and network interfaces are created for VM templates and folder placement features.
The team put a lot of effort in Medusa, and we want to thank you for the marvellous feedback received in the community forum, as well as the support given by the community to newcomers and people willing to upgrade their OpenNebula infrastructures.
It is also very welcome how people are keeping up to date with the latest releases. We hope you enjoying using OpenNebula as much as we enjoy developing it!
Integrations such as this one from UDS Enterprise gives indeed more flexibility to OpenNebula, with the ability to manage a VDI environment in an OpenNebula based infrastructure.
Release 5.2-4.1 of the LXDoNe OpenNebula addon has been released. LXDoNe add LXD management capabilities to OpenNebula, bringing container management to the cloud!
The OpenNebulaConf EU will take place in Madrid, Spain, this October. The conference will be packed with very interesting talks about the real world uses of OpenNebula, check the agenda for more details, keynotes feature BlackBerry, Trivago, Runtastic and the Ministry of the Flemish community. Also, make sure you register if you’ll be on the area! The conference is a great place to learn about OpenNebula and cloud computing in general, don’t take our word for granted and watch the talks in the YouTube playlist, download the slides or take a look to the pictures of the first US edition of the OpenNebulaConf that happened in Boston this past June.
The next OpenNebula TechDay will happen in Vancouver after the summer break, the 1st of September, hosted by Best Buy Canada. The event is almost full, so if you are in the area make sure you register a soon as possible, or risk missing the opportunity!
The OpenNebula team is going to feature a booth in both VMworlds this upcoming months. If you are going to attend, do not forget to come by the OpenNebula booth to see a live demo of the latest stable version (Medusa) of your favourite CMP and of vOneCloud (3.0.1):
- VMworld 2017 US, August 27-31, Las Vegas, Mandalay Bay Hotel & Convention Center. Booth 1121.
- VMworld 2017 Europe, September 11-14, Barcelona, Fira Gran Via. Booth E430.
Also, check out the list of official training from OpenNebula Systems for this year. If you are new to OpenNebula, or want to improve you knowledge with an in-depth OpenNebula admin course, those are the dates and locations you need to keep in mind.